Will they examine my pancreas during ultrasound for pancreatitis?

General Surgeon
Hello there I'm a bit concerned about some abdomen problems I have been having lately. I keep getting a pain on my upper left abdomen just under my ribs it also goes to my upper back mainly on left side but can move to right side too it comes an goes all day an can be mild to quite painful. I've seen a dr twice and the first time he sent me to get an ultrasound of all my organs and my overies which came back all clear. He told me it could be Ibs or an intolerance to lactose, fructose or gluten. I have cut those out one by one for a week like he said but no luck. I also asked him if it was a stomach ulcer and he gave me some pills called somac and when I went back for ultrasound results and told him they didn't help he said it won't be a ulcer. I am also not constipated as I go to the toilet at least once a day. When I look my symptoms up it comes up with pancreitis which is concerning because that sounds quite serious.would my pancreas be checked in the ultrasound for pancreitis? I do have an image of it in the scans that they gave back to me of my pancreas but when he said I was all clear of anything serious to those organs he didn't mention my pancreas. I also noticed the scan of my liver has a spot on it as I didn't look at the scans till after my doctors appointment I couldn't ask him what that meant. Im hoping the people who took my scan would have noted if it was something bad? Any advice would be great
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: can be pancreatitis, but that will need a few test Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Yes, indeed your symptom profile suggest towards pancreatitis as your pain is also radiating to your back, and as rest of the differential diagnosis have already been ruled out but your treating physician, namely renal calculi or gall bladder calculi (as suggested by the normal result of your ultrasound) and acid peptic disease (by your no relief to somac)and even lactose and fructose intolerance. Usually, when i encounter a patient in whom i suspect pancreatitis, in my clinic, i usually subject them to certain blood tests like serum amylase and serum lipase levels. To you also i would suggest the same. So if you are willing, please get these tests done and tell me the results so that i can come to a conclusion and help you with your pain. Now coming to your your query regarding the ultrasound scan...the pancreas is difficult to visualize as it is a retroperitoneal structure (thats why its pain radiates to the back) and the overlying bowel obscure it during the scan...and those spots in the liver maybe the bile ducts, thought as i have not seen those images, i may not be sure. But be assured that if there was an abnormal spot, your radiologist would surely have noted them. Hope that i have answered all your queries. If you have further queries do ask me, i will be glad to answer them. Get Well Soon! Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: Will they examine my pancreas during ultrasound for pancreatitis? 15 minutes later
Thank you. I will be asking my dr to get those test done. Can pancreitis be life threatening?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: No...Usually not Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, No pancreatitis is not a life threatening disease, unless it is very severe and it becomes infected and goes for necrosis, which is definitely not there in your case. So, dont worry about that, and get those tests done. Hope i have answered all your queries. If you dont have further queries, you may close this discussion, the rate the reply. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: Will they examine my pancreas during ultrasound for pancreatitis? 45 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer it was very helpful I will get these tests done and also feel better about knowing if it is pancreatis that it is not life threatening. Thanks again XXXX
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are most welcome... just dont take any stress...everything will be fine... Regard Dr. Ashish Verma