Will there be painful burning sensation on lower back even after 24 hrs of surgical removal of sebaceous cyst?

Question
Hi, my name is Mayur and I'm 39 years old 168cm and 61.5kg. I had an inflammation and infection of a sebaceous gland on my lower right back.

I went for surgery yesterday, and had the sebaceous gland removed. The procedure took around 30 minutes. According to the doctor, the sebaceous gland was in various pieces and thats why the surgery took long.

The doctor also applied bactroben antiseptic ointment before stitching the wound. I am supposed to go for another check up tomorrow to see how the wound has healed.

He prescribed me with azitromicina 500mg (1 per day) and diclofenac 50mg (3 times a day).

Is it normal to be in a lot of agony after this surgery? I keep getting very painful burning sensation on my lower back and have a difficulty sitting on my back and bending down even 24hours after the operation.

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 57 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

What you had on your lower back was a sebaceous cyst. It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. Treatment includes small surgical opening into the skin and removing the sac and the contents of the cyst.

It is normal to have pain, swelling and inflammation of the area for a few days after the procedure and since you had got done the surgery 1 day prior, it will take another 2-3 days for the pain to settle down. This is due to the trauma inflicted by the local excision and stitches and to the surrounding tissue when scooping out the contents of the cyst.

You have been prescribed a good pain killer (Diclofenac) and it acts as an anti inflammatory drug also which will help in reducing the swelling. So please continue taking the pain killer and the prescribed antibiotic to avoid any infection.

Take complete rest and avoid doing any stretching activity which puts a strain on the stitches. Avoid lying down on your back and instead lie down on one side of the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: Will there be painful burning sensation on lower back even after 24 hrs of surgical removal of sebaceous cyst? 2 hours later
Apparently, blood has started to seep through the bandages.. Even my bed sheet got wet. Not a lot though. Its late here in the night and i suspect one of the stitches must have broken. However i will be seeing the doctor again tomorrow. Unfortunately, the Dr here did not inform me any precautions to take after surgery including lying on my back nor stretching.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

This seepage of blood from the wound can be due to pressure on the wound when lying down which causes superficial blood vessels to burst open and release blood. The other possibility is any stitch breakage but it can be ruled out only after physical examination of the stitch line.

Try to avoid any further strain on the stitchline and avoid lying directly on the back. Also ask your doctor to check for any infection as it may cause severe pain and blood discharge.