Will there be complications during general anesthesia for tooth removal? Drink was spike with ecstasy.

Last night my drink was spiked by half an ectascy pill at a festival. I am due to undergo general anesthesia tomorrow to have my wisdom teeth removed. Will there be complications?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Ecstasy contains methamphetamine group of hallucinogen. It has many euphoric effects coupled with the bad ones. As with the general anaesthetic, yes - it would be a factor in the way you would undergo for the procedure. You would need to inform this to the doctor, as you are having the procedure tomorrow and the half life of ecstasy is 5 hours. (Which means half the amount of the ingested level at end of every 5 hours, till a complete washout after about 5 half lives.)

So, if you do not want to inform the doctor, you could put off the procedure by a week or so, to ensure the bad effects of ecstasy do not spill over on the side effects of general anaesthesia.

The complications will include enhanced cardiovascular, neurological and respiratory detrimental effects and would be multiplied with the risk of the anesthetic too. A whole list, some like hypotension, susceptibility to cardiac arrhythmias and the likes are some you would like to know for now.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.