Ask a Dentist   »  

Will the lower jaw get swollen due to wisdom tooth removal?

Top left on side wisdom tooth needs to come out but my question is would the cause my lower jaw on the same side to swellon very bad?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Wisdom tooth eruption can cause pain and swelling in complete jaw on that side, where the wisdom tooth is erupting.

It could be due to two reasons .

One is that either the infection has traveled there from the upper tooth, or the lower wisdom tooth on left side is also on the way of eruption.

You can confirm this through x XXXXXXX

Presently, it is required to start antibiotics and analgesics to prevent further infection to surrounding spaces, which can be problematic.

For further query please let me know.

Follow-up: Will the lower jaw get swollen due to wisdom tooth removal? 4 hours later
Will pulling the wisdom tooth bring down the swelling what else should I do to bring down the swelling
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 7 hours later
Dear friend.

The swelling is most likely due to pus accumulation in the infected area around third molar. You might need a course of antibiotic to treat the infection. Extraction of third molar can be undertaken after a few days of antibiotic therapy. Accumulated pus can be easily drained during extraction which will reduce the swelling.

In the interim you can try warm saline rinses orally and warm compresses on the swollen area. They can be useful. However do consider visiting a dentist and plan for diagnostic X-ray followed by antibiotic course and surgical extraction.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know for further query please.