Will taking Nivalin affect the hemoglobin?

My father is taking Nivalin will this drug effect his hemoglobin 15mg per day, age 72, weight 138 he alzheimer.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Nivalin causes brain activation in patients with Alzheimer's disease. It helps in increasing the concentration of oxygenated hemoglobin in the brain as compared to the deoxygenated hemoglobin thus helping in increasing the brain activity.
Oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin are two interchangeable forms of hemoglobin and does not affect the total concentration of hemoglobin in the body.
Galantamine ( Nivalin) does not trigger or help the hemoglobin synthesis in any way.
It is only given to help the better brain oxygenation to increase its function and to decrease the neuronal degeneration.
You need not worry about further rise in hemoglobin in your father's case.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Will taking Nivalin affect the hemoglobin? 25 hours later
Well his hemoglobin has drop to 5.5 is there something going on, but we did find out that in his blood their was a strain of lupus. Now is physician has order a XXXXXXX sed rate should he have a transfusion he doing very well I perfer to wait another week or two ...Waiting for you answer.. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Sudden decrease in hemoglobin levels might be due to immunologic reasons or due to chronic blood loss like in piles or fissures. Your father needs a detailed evaluation to find out the cause. Please discuss this with his treating doctor.

Wishing you an early recovery.