Will taking Becelac for IBS affect my chances of conception?

Hello Doctor! Today i went to my family doctor complaining about my constant IBS problems. He recommended me to take capsule Becelac PB for about 6 months and assured me that it has no side effects and can be consumed for life. I'm planning for a baby and already taking MCBM-69 in night. Will taking capsule Becelac PB daily in morning affect my chances of conception or incase i get pregnant, affect my baby?
I had to undergo an abortion in Mar.12 in my 19th week of pregnancy as i was carrying a male fetus with Trisomy-18 (I had poor blood results and FISH test and amniocentesis also confirmed the same). I already have a 5 yrs. old normal baby girl, delivered normally. Also, incase i get pregnant, are there chances of any abnormality again in the fetus like last time? I don't want to go through all that physical and mental pain again. I'm already 36 yrs. old. I also have multiple fibroids. Pl. reply at the earliest. I'm very anxious.
My e-mail ID is, YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Becelac PB is just pro biotic medication containing healthy gut bacteria.It will not affect your chances of conception & your foetus.
As you are having multiple fibroids & malformed fetus in previous pregnancy, chances of miscarriage & chromosomal anomaly are more than normal in future pregnancy, but it does not mean that you will be definitely having malformed one.
So after getting conception go through all the investigations like triple test & amniocentesis to rule out any chromosomal anomaly & hope for the best.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.
Follow-up: Will taking Becelac for IBS affect my chances of conception? 22 minutes later
Is taking MCBM-69 good before conception or the normal Folvite tablet of 5mg? Also, let me know what all have to be taken care of in terms of diet and additional supplements? I'm 36 and my husband is 39, are we too old to become parents now and facing defects in baby? My husband is taking medication for BP, cholesterol and Fertyl M. Pl. advice.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi and welcome back.

MCBN-69 contains both vitamin B-12 & folic acid 5 mg.

Folic acid deficiency is a known cause of neural tube defect; but sometimes there occurs neural tube defect due to take MCBN-69 instead of plain folic acid as supplement along with balanced diet XXXXXXX in protein, iron & calcium like soybeans, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, red meat & chicken.

Though you are a little bit elder & your husband is taking medications, now a day there are so many screening test to detect any abnormality. So nothing to worry & plan for next pregnancy.

I hope your has been answered. Let me know if you have other queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: Will taking Becelac for IBS affect my chances of conception? 16 hours later
I was taking MCBM-69 for about 6 months min. before i became pregnant last time, the pregnancy which i had to abort. After getting pregnant i took Lupigest 200 orally, as suggested by my gynaec for about 2 months, which made me feel drowsy. But, inspite of following all advices and taking bedrest and good diet, still, i had a baby with Trisomy-18. Pl. tell me what went wrong, what can be done to have a normal baby? After trying for 2 yrs., i had got pregnant. It takes time for me to conceive even after using no contraceptives. I also have regular periods of 28 days cycle. My daughter was very excited for the new arrival and we were so happy but, i had to kill my baby. The memories haunt me. The sonography all was OK. Even anomaly scan was normal, there was no defect in the baby physically. My due date was 12.08.12. I was very upset that day. I aborted on 12.03.12 in my 19th week of pregnancy. I took some ayurvedic medicine after that for body strength. Should i take another chance? Is my body physically fit to become pregnant again? I want another child but am very anxious after all that i have gone through. How much % risk can that be? Pl. reply!
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing back. I understand your pain and I appreciate your courage to go through this.

Trisomy 18 is a sporadic disease & its occurrence rate is 1 in 3000 to 1 in 6000 births.

Even though you are taking all supportive medications but it can happen & its recurrence rate is 0.75% higher in you than another lady of your age group.

It's a very fatal disease & you are lucky that problem was diagnosed at very early stage, otherwise you & your coming baby both would have to suffer.

Now your body is physically fit to take another chance, but there is no need to take any Ayurveda medicine. Just continue whatever was advised in previous follow up.

I will be available for your further queries.