Will stamlo 5 cause harm if consumed twice in 14 hours?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am on stamlo 5 once a day. Inardvently I took another tab in the night at about 11 pm after a gaps of 14 hrs. Will it cause any serious harm ?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 minutes later

Stamlo usually has a blood pressure lowering effect. If taken in overdose on usually more than 10 tablets, it can cause severe hypotensive symptoms such as giddiness and fainting, fluid in lungs that can cause shortness of breath and high heart rate presenting as racing of the heart.

Now to answer your query, you have consumed one tablet more. It will usually not cause any severe adverse effect, but if you have any of the above mentioned symptoms you need to get to Emergency Room.

Some patients need two tablets in a gap of 12 hours for proper management of blood pressure. However I suggest you not to repeat this again. Consult your doctor before you make any changes with the doses and frequency of medication.

As of now, you may drink a glass of water and lie down. You may elevate your lower limbs over a pillow for a while till you feel better. Avoid getting up at night or even in the morning by yourself unless you have someone to help you sit and stand up. Do not get up immediately to standing position.

You can sit up for few minutes and move your feet like you are pushing on accelerator pedal in a car. Do this for 5-6 times and then with the help of someone, stand up slowly. If you feel weak, giddy, you should avoid standing up and stay lying down.

Get your blood pressure monitored. If it is too low, then consider visiting the emergency room for medical intervention.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Will stamlo 5 cause harm if consumed twice in 14 hours? 3 days later

Thanks for the answer
After I took the tablet I had a brief phase of sweating and after taking a glass of water I felt better and never had any major problem in the night.
I usually take the medicint in the morning. Since I had taken the medicing=ne in the night would it be OK if I take my usual dose in the morning again ?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later

You can resume with morning dose as usual. Do not change the course of treatment without advice from your Doctor.

Do make sure you do not repeat this mistake again. Keep your blood pressure in control. Exercise daily.