Will spitting blood and saliva cause HIV infection?

This question is about the possibility of hiv transmission. I was speaking to a work coleague who is XXXXXXX and there are rumours that he has hiv. As this person was speaking to me, I noticed that he was spitting whilst talking. I also noticed small amounts of spit enter my
As we were speaking to each other. What if he was spitting blood as well as saliva. Can this cause hiv infection?? Do I need to get tested ?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later

Transmission of HIV through saliva is extremely, extremely low. It is almost close to impossible that minute quantity of saliva stained blood can cause HIV infection.

I understand your concern. But your undue concern about HIV transmission via saliva with or without blood stains is unwarranted. Stay rest assured you have almost zero possibility of getting HIV infection. I don't think you need to be tested.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Will spitting blood and saliva cause HIV infection? 6 minutes later
So there is zero transmission in this case? Even if his saliva or blood entered my mouth ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
There are no reports of HIV transmission through saliva or saliva stained body secretions. This might be due to the fact that the amount of HIV virus in the minute droplets of saliva in minimal to induce infection. Further saliva has acidic secretions along with secretory antibodies which have antiviral properties.

Thus in all probabilities the chance of you getting HIV via the described set of events is close to zero. In this case, there is no real need to undergo tests.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards