Will smoking weed affect surgical abortion?

I am having an abortion in 14 hours.
I normally smoke weed every night to get me to sleep.
I want to know if I smoke weed now will it affect my surgery that will happen in 14 hours.
Please help me. I can't sleep without smoking...
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Surgical abortion is usually done by a procedure called dilatation and curettage (D&C). This procedure is often done using mild anaesthesia. Smoking week before the procedure does not affect the procedure nor the safe performance of anaesthesia.

That being said, I would recommend you NOT to smoke the night before the procedure.
You may discuss with your treating doctor about your problem and she/he may prescribe you mild anxiety pills which can help you sleep as well as remove any apprehensions of surgery. Few doctors prescribe them routinely before a procedure.

The bottom line is smoking weed before this procedure would not affect you or the outcome of the procedure. Avoid it if possible.

Hope I have answered your query. If any more queries, you are welcome to post them here. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Thanks and best of luck.