Will smoking pot make my damaged mitral valve worse?

Will smoking pot make my damaged mitrial valve worse
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

I am a cardiologist and I am moving with the presumption that your valve was not damaged due to intra venous drug intake. To be truthful, straight answer to your query is NO. Inhaled drugs or drugs taken by mouth do not aggravate the damaged valve. There is one exception to this.....

Unless, you become addicted to substance and for some reason start taking drugs intravenously(i/v). In that event, chances of infective endocarditis (infection of a damaged heart structure) are very high. Disease, involves expensive treatment and valve replacement with high mortality.

If I were you, I would want to come out any kind of substance abuse and never be in a situation where i/v drugs are taken.

Take Care with best wishes

Dr Anil Grover