Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
I scratched the top of my hand from my middle knuckle to my index finger knuckle on a nail point that was sticking out of a doorway post. Is there any danger from this? It's a scratch the bled a little.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: No danger if wound id clean. Detailed Answer: Hi, I would examine the wound and see if there are any foreign body in it. If it is clean and has no foreign substance, then there will be no danger from the wound. I would just clean it with antiseptic like liquid Betadine and dress for a day or two. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information. Regards

Follow-up: Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection? 15 minutes later
No danger from hepatitus?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: not at all Detailed Answer: No danger of hepatitis unless your wound in contaminated with serum or blood from another person with hepatitis.

Follow-up: Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection? 19 minutes later
But that nail at the door post could've cut another person. Is the scratch of the top of my hand suseptible at all? thank you I would still like the follow up question answered but I did not read the "brief answer" part on my phone. Could there be contamination on just a scratch on my hand?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer: No, it can not . Detailed Answer: There can not be contamination on scratch unless it has come in live contact with blood of infected person. The accident you had has no risk of contamination at all; therefore possibilities of any form of infection is less likely. Regards