Will removal of gallbladder affects ones life span? Will it cause any cancer?

Question
Hi , will removal of gallbladder affects ones life span and I want to know they will get colon or anyother cancer after gall bladder out
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 16 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Chronic diarrhea and Gallbladder removal.

Bile is produced by liver continuously, and get stored in gallbladder.

After removal of gallbladder, bile go to intestine directly and continuously, where it irritates intestine and can cause loose motions.

This chronic irritation can cause cancer also.

You may require to avoid tea, coffee and caffeine containing cold drinks and fat in your diet .

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Will removal of gallbladder affects ones life span? Will it cause any cancer? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply. Gall bladder was removed two years ago and no significant side effects that is chronic diarrhea or loose motions. Is there any chance for cancer still.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 7 hours later

Welcome again,

I am happy to know that you are not suffering with any side effect of gallbladder removal.

Intensity of side effects vary from person to person.

As bile is not causing loose motion, it is expected that it is not irritating your intestine much. Therefore chances of getting cancer should also be very less.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Will removal of gallbladder affects ones life span? Will it cause any cancer? 11 hours later

Thank you doctor.

I am again disturbing you with the two last questions as my surgeon adviced to not to eat briyani after surgery and nothing else,

Can I have fasting for some time?

How frequently I should eat?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 57 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

You should not eat Biryani, means your diet should not contain fat and oil.

There should be no problem due to fasting for some time. In my opinion, you should drink water more frequently.

You should eat more frequently, but your meal should not contain fats/oil, or it should contain as little as possible.

With good wishes,