Will potassium sparing diuretic cause fluctuations in serum potassium levels?

Infertility Specialist
I has been getting palpitations and got blood drawn on thursday. I remember being asked to clench my fists as the nurse was finding it hard to get blood. On friday (24 hours later) I got a call from my doctor telling me my labs showed a serum k of 6 and that I was to avoid all potassium rich foods and supplements. I immefiately took myself to the ER where they retested the result was 3.5. Now my question is, without the opportunity to alter my diet, could serum k have fallen from. 6 to 3.5 in 24 hours? I know that there is a risk that due to fist clenching the first result was an error but is there a chance that it was accurate and fell natirally to 3.5 the next day? I am concerned becsuse i take a potassium sparing diuretic and i worry it is causing issues with my seum potassium levels. Thanks for your snswer.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: normal Detailed Answer: Hi, it is possible that your values were normal. 6 is not very high and its just above normal which could be a lab error. Since immediate next value was normal there is nothing to worry. Just relax and live normal. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Will potassium sparing diuretic cause fluctuations in serum potassium levels? 58 minutes later
So you are saying it's possible for serum potassium to fall in 24 hours from 6 to 3.5 without a change in diet or supplementation and there may not have been a lad error. The point of my question is to see how volatile my potassium is. Can it move so much is such a short time? Your other colleague said I would have been in intensive care with a k of 6 and you're saying it's not that high. I am very confused. How can I keep my potassium stable if it can jump from 3.9 to 6 to 3.5 with no kidney problems.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: wrong report Detailed Answer: Hi, What I meant to say was 3.5 seem to be fight value as there cant be such a wide variation. You were fine when levels were 6. Hence your potassium level seems to be within normal range. Therefore I don't recommend any treatment based in one wrong value of 6 especially with normal kidneys Regards