Will positive IgG and IgM cause harm to baby during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
my rubella igg and igm is reactive and i an again pregnant will it harm my baby
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi IgG positive rubella is past infection and not a matter of concern. IgM positive status indicates present infection and causes various fetal effects called congenital rubella syndrome. This effects fetal skin, brain,lymph nodes etc. Hence it is bettet to terminate pregnancy if IgM is positive. Please get tested again to reconfirm. If you wish to continue seek opinion of a fetal medicine specialist care. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Will positive IgG and IgM cause harm to baby during pregnancy? 50 minutes later
but in my first pregnancy i was rubella igm so now myreactive and i had to abort the baby igm is again reactive should i carry my baby or not

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi If your IgM is positive for rubella you cannot carry pregnancy Regards

Follow-up: Will positive IgG and IgM cause harm to baby during pregnancy? 17 hours later
but now my rubella igg is also positive should i go for avidity test and again rubella test after a week

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer: IgM Detailed Answer: Hi, IgM positivity is more significant than IgG avidity test. Therefore, since IgM positivity status shows risks for fetal effects of rubella. I suggest you to that there is no point in doing avidity test. Only other option is To follow up by serial ultrasound scan to diagnose congenital rubella syndrome and then take decision to terminate pregnancy. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol