Will poppy seed muffin and coffee affect the urine test result?

I recently had a UA test and showed positive for opiates....they said either "likely Morphine" or it was Morphine. Now bear with me for a moment. I am on 3 prescriptions for blood pressure and cholesterol.....none of which would show up as an "opiate". I am not taking any over the counter cold meds or such but I did ingest a poppyseed muffin and coffee about 40 to 45 minutes befor the test. I told the "tester" of this but was told that should not make a difference. My Physician and Pharmacist says that it would for as many as 2 to 3 days. What's your opinion and can you direct me to case studies???? I don't believe contamination is an issue....stumped???
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: poppy seeds food might give false positive opiate urine test Detailed Answer: Hi, As we know, morphine is derived from poppy plant, and there are strong correlation between poppy seed consumption and positive urine test for morphine. This chemical stays in the system for 48-72 hours. As the seeds are from same plant, we can say that they might contain traces of morphine or morphine like products which are excreted in trace amounts in urine. You can check this PDF file from XXXXXXX university --> Also do see this info on USADA website --> WWW.WWWW.WW The XXXXXXX seeds sometimes absorbs the morphine during processing, and chemical tests are good in determining traces of these compounds. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Regards Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS