Will plasma metanephrine test reveal pheochromocytoma?

Will a plasma metanephrine test reveal a pheochromocytoma on its own if its present? I just had the test done yesterday...havent gotten my results yet. Ive had bad attacks for 10 years. Th is past year Ive gotten much sicker. Im tired of not knowing what is happening to me. I spent 20 some hours with another migraine yesterday, and my back is in very severe pain. one week ago I had a reaction to benadryl and my bp was 220/118. I had an attack two weeks ago driving my car. My heart pounded fast and hard and then very slow. I thought I was going to faint. This is something that comes on suddenly. I have had 500 plus attacks, been in Ambulance over 30 times, and my daughter died shortly after birth and I had to have blood transfusion for anemia. I have had my heart restarted for tachycardia. I have had low potassium where I had to have iv migraines are horrific and those just started two yuse of a certain blood product i rejected due to being rh negative...please help me. i can no longer exercise. i have attacks on the tredmill or during aerobics. i used to be 125 lbs. i have gained 50 lbs from the stress and inability to exercise.ears ago. I wake up from a dead sleep gasping for air and heart pounding and racing. I cannot have caffeine, benadryl, and certain pain medications. I reacted badly to my blood transfusion because I am rh negative...should I give 7p searching if my test comes back negative for pheochromocytoma? im tired of the attacks and ambulances and hospitals and especially having no answer.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 days later
Brief Answer: Needs Work Up, Looks Like Pheo, Psych assist Detailed Answer: Hello Shannon! My name is Dr. S Khan and i would like to answer your query. XXXXXXX i read your concern about your unexplained Headaches, hypertensive episodes, anxiety and recent electrolyte derangement episodes with some hypersensitivity responses to simple antihistamine With mix etiology from the recent transfusions for anemia and a shocking incident of your daughters death right after birth. XXXXXXX i want you to know that the symptoms you are presented with trust me are the classic hallmarks of pheochromocytomas If the Antenatal condition Called Preeclampsia is ruled Out as these symptoms can be explained by recent birth complication secondary to PreEclampsia or Toxemia of pregnancy But i am sure doctors would have sorted out that before considering Rare Pheochromocytoma as a possibility. Usually patient with Pheochromocytoma has Quadriology of Headaches Palpitations Diaphoresis ( excessive sweating) Severe hypertension Typical patterns of the spells are as follows: Frequency may vary from monthly to several times per day Duration may vary from seconds to hours Over time, spells tend to occur more frequently and become more severe as the tumor grows The following may also occur during spells: Tremor Nausea Weakness Anxiety, sense of doom Epigastric pain Flank pain Constipation And XXXXXXX You should not give up. Some times reaching diagnosis take time But fighting is what you need to continue. Now that you are awaiting the results for plasma metanephrines and catecholamines, i am sure they will confirm the diagnosis. there are some other additions which could be required before ruling out Pheochromocytomas like Chromogranin A test, clonidine suppression test, Some scans like CT/MR, PET, HED and FDOPA scintigraphy scans. and if needed some genetic associations like MEN-2 by venous samplings and arteriography. So you need a very good endocrinologist to work that all out for you. Plus as you already are on thyroid issues and hormonal issues i am pretty sure it further confirms the Disease. Any how One stop Visit to endocrinology with continuous follow ups is all you need right now. Rest assured you need also some Psychiatric assistance for your post partum psychosis of losing a baby. seek the psychiatrist help please and dont lose hope. my prayers are with you and keep me posted about you i really feel sorry for your loss and would love to stay informed about your progress. Good Luck and take some very good care of yourself. If you have any more queries , please feel free to ask other wise i request you to kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. May the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr. S Khan