Will placental cysts cause further problems during conception?

I had my 20 week ultrasound today and the Dr. saw several cysts on the placenta. Is this something that can later cause problems for me or the baby or problems during labor/birth?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Benign cysts. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The placental cysts that have been detected on the ultrasound examination are usually benign cysts and may be present in upto 20% placentae examined. Most of placental cysts carry a benign nature and prognosis, however, their presence has been considered by some as an ominous sign when attached near the umbilical cord insertion, as the risk for umbilical cord constriction increases and this may cause fetal growth retardation. You need to have a regular follow up scans to see the location and progression of the cysts. These cysts are more commonly associated with maternal diabetes and Rh incompatibility. So it is best to get this ruled out with suitable blood tests. This does not cause any problems during labor or birth of the baby. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Will placental cysts cause further problems during conception? 3 hours later
Is bystolic safe to take during pregnancy? Or a probiotic pill?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Probiotic can be used. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Probiotic pill is safe for use in pregnancy. Bystolic is an anti hypertensive which has been categorized as pregnancy category C drug- means some malformations have been detected on using these pills in animal studies. The benefits of using this pills in pregnancy should be carefully weighed against the risks involved before starting with this. Do consult your gynecologist regarding the evaluation. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Will placental cysts cause further problems during conception? 8 hours later
Is Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin E, Astragalus, and Aronia Extract safe to take whole pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be taken in small quantities. Detailed Answer: Hello. You can safely take Vitamin C Vitamin E and Zinc supplements as prescribed by your gynecologist. The safety studies of Astragalus and Aronia extracts during the pregnancy are not available. Do take these only if these are necessary. Avoid taking any unnecessary supplements. Regards.