Will physiotherapy completely cure cervical disc herniation?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have suffered a Cervical Disc herniation. MRI suggests that C5 / C6 disc herniates and compressing nerves. No Chord compression. There is a numb sensation at the top of right hand thumb. Doctor told it will go away after continues Physiotherapy. I am undergoing physiotherapy for the last 2 weeks. Will it be completely curable ? Will the portion of herniated disc will relocate to its original position ? Can I go back to sports activities ? Can I go back to normal activities ?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can go back to normal activities Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The cause of your symptoms are disc herniation compressing the nerve roots. The resulting inflammation, compression and irritation of the nerve root is probably the source of your acute symptoms. Antiinflammatory medication and physiotherpy will be helpful in these conditions and should be tried initially. With physiotherapy muscle get strong and causes less pressure over nerve roots by herniated disc. Traction is helpful. It aligns the spine and decreases the pressure over nerve roots. You can go back to normal activities, but you have to avoid heavy weight lifting over neck. If the symptoms persist after these conservative therapy , surgery might required in that case. Hope this will helps you.