Will norethisterone help to reduce cyst on ovary?

Mar 2013
I am currently having IVF. I am due to have a frozen embryo transfer in January. I had an internal scan today and I have a small cyst on my left ovary and have been prescribed norethisterone for two weeks. Will this help to reduce my cyst?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: YES, THE CYST WILL MOSTLY RESOLVE . Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Generally small, asymptomatic cysts detected incidentally on ultrasound, will resolve spontaneously on their own. Also, cyclical hormonal therapy ( such as that prescribed to you ) helps in further resolution of such small cysts. So do not worry, the answer is yes, this cyst will in all probability disappear in the next cycle. To help me be more specific, could you please upload the ultrasound scan report ? All the best to you with your IVF attempt ! Do not worry or stress about the cyst, it will respond to medical treatment. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Will norethisterone help to reduce cyst on ovary? 10 minutes later
This is very useful - thank you very much. I do not have access to the ultrasound I am afraid. I was just told that I had a small cyst on my left ovary. I had my egg retrieval on 4th November and because of over stimulating and getting mild OHSS I am waiting for two more cycles to complete before having the frozen embryo transfer. The first cycle started on 17th November and then I started 'bleeding' again today on 3rd December. At the scan today I was told that I should not have started to shed my uterus lining this early - so that worried me. Will the norethisterone will help with that as well? Hopefully in 2 weeks time, my cyst will have reduced enough for me to continue with the IVF medication aiming for transfer mid January.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing in with a more detailed history. THe small cyst is mostly a residual cyst left over from the follicular cysts which are inherent to OHSS. Yes, the chief action of Norethisterone is to help in building up the uterine lining. 15 days is time enough for the lining to be optimum, and the cyst to resolve. Do not worry. Take care. Please feel free to contact me anytime, directly, using the following link - WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Will norethisterone help to reduce cyst on ovary? 18 hours later
This was meant to be my original timeline of events for my frozen embryo transfer: • December 11th (approx) Period starts • On cycle day 14 I start taking norethisterone • On cycle day 21 I start nasal spray suprefact • I stop norethisterone on cycle day 25 (period should come a few days later) • January 7th (approx)Period starts • On cycle day 2, 3 or 4 I go in for a scan • A week later, I go for another scan • Then I start progesterone • Then 4 days later – transfer (I estimate around January 13th – 20th) HOWEVER - since I started bleeding on 3rd December and went for a scan yesterday this has all been thrown out of the window. (As you know from our previous correspondence) And you also know that I am now on the norethisterone for two weeks. If my cyst has gone I will continue on norethisterone for another week and also start the suprefact nasal spray. My question is - will i need to have one or two more periods after this before transfer? Could it be that after the final and third week of norethisterone which would take me up to 24 December (for my period to then start around 28 December) that I could have the transfer after this cycle Or would I have to wait for another cycle before the transfer? I am so sorry for the long winded message and I have no idea if you can answer this or not, but the clinic I am with don't offer me a decent explanation and I am left with so many questions and queries.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi Please do not apologize for your message. I can understand your apprehension, and it is only natural. I am happy if I can go some way towards helping you out. I would be glad to do so, and you can address as many questions to me , as you wish, have no worry on that score ! To answer your question - no, you do not need to have a couple of more periods after this. The period you would have this time around, after stopping norethisterone, will be enough, for you to start the transfer procedure as was scheduled. After the third and final week of Norethisterone, once you stop the drug and menstruate, you would be able to have the transfer immediately in the next cycle, without waiting for another cycle. If the cyst persists, or the endometrium does not grow enough, then the transfer could be cancelled / deferred, but that possibility is inherent in any IVF procedure. RIght now, even though you have bled early, you are still poised well enough to start the transfer as was the initial schedule, just that you would have to take norethisterone for a longer period than initially planned. Do not worry. Am sure it will all work out fine as per the schedule. Stress and negative thinking will only further impact the results. All the best. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Will norethisterone help to reduce cyst on ovary? 12 days later
I had my scan today. The cyst is still there. I am to take Norethisterone for another week and then wait for my period. I will then be scanned again to check the cyst has gone. My period will be due around 28 December. After this next period is there anything to stop us trying naturally?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Once you have your next period, and for any reason, if the FET is put off ( for example the cyst ), then there is nothing to keep you from trying naturally. In fact, you should. I wish you luck. Take care.
Follow-up: Will norethisterone help to reduce cyst on ovary? 1 hour later
If the scan shows the cyst has gone on 28 Dec will I be put on medication? Will this mean I won't be able to try naturally?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: If the cyst has resolved, then you would be put on medication for the transfer. That would inhibit your own ovulation, hence trying naturally wont make much sense. If medication too is deferred, then you can try naturally.