Will my irregular periods affect pregnancy?

Hi Doc,
I am 24 years old (un married) for the past 3 years i am having irregular periods.I suggested Doc,she found that i am suffering from Polycystic Disease,she prescribed me to take Deviry 10 mg if i am not getting periods more than 45 days.But still i am not getting regular periods.I am very much afraid...whether this will affect me for my pregnancy after my marriage.Please help me in this.....
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Will my irregular periods affect pregnancy? 5 minutes later
Please help me to get regular perios.
I very much afraid because of this irregularity,i will not be pregnent.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 11 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

PCOD is one of the most common cause of irregular periods in young woman and requires a dedicated treatment and if left untreated can cause fertility issues later.

Deviry which you had been prescribed is a synthetic hormone preparation used for inducing periods.But this is not the treatment for cysts.

In patients with PCOD insulin resistantance is also seen which is treated by Metformin and along with that Clomid is the usual drug of choice for cysts.

Consider visiting a Gynaecologist for thorough examination and investigations as USG scan(to see the number,size of cysts,whether they have increased or not)and Hormonal Work up(if any derangements present) then medications would be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.
Follow-up: Will my irregular periods affect pregnancy? 3 hours later
I need to add some more info..

For every cycle i am getting all the symtoms for getting the periods(Odour,Pimple on face,Stomach pain) but i am getting the flow in regular.

Whether shall i continue to have the Deviry tablet in future?whether it will cause side effect?

Does this disease can be cured?
why this ir regularity is coming?
What kind of treatment i need to get?
Does this treatment will cause any side effect?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Deviry can be taken for inducing periods but kindly take it under medical supervision. No adverse effects as such have been reported with its use.

PCOD treatment depends on the number of cysts and their size. It cannot be completely cured but with the medications hormonal levels can be regularized and ovulation can occur which can help in pregnancy.

Regarding the treatment as I already explained you in my previous reply that Clomid and Metformin are given but the treatment is decided after thorough evaluation and investigations.

The symptoms which you have as irregular periods, abdominal pain etc are suggestive of PCOD and are the common ones.

This treatment does not have any side effects rather it would help you in regularizing the cycles and induce ovulation.

Wishing you Good Health!