Will meth show up while doing the thyroid tests?

Question
Hi, my sister has been using meth, and she was ordered to get a electrolyte panel, a t4 free, a tsh, a CBC, and I think this says. Dliner. Blood tests done, it's important she has them done right away, but she is worried the meth will come up.. Will it show if they are not looking for it?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Methionine is one of the essential amino acids needed for good health but cannot be produced in the body, and so must be provided through diet or supplements.

These tests that your sister has been ordered to get done are not used primarily for detecting methinone which can be detected by specific tests like sophisticated panel tests for free radical oxidative stress, colorimetric test for methionine and ion exchange chromatography.

If one if not looking for methinone, then it is unlikely that methinone will be showing up on these tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Will meth show up while doing the thyroid tests? 19 minutes later
Thank you, but just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. You calling it methinone? Are you referring to the drug? To be more specific she uses crank. I just found out about this and plan to do everything I can to help her, but for now I would hate to see her go to jail because of a doctor appt. Thank you for your time. Oh and you said " unlikely " does this mean there is a chance?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing back and for the clarification.

If your sister is using crank then the metabolite is methamphetamine and not methionine which is a requirement of the body.

If your sister is getting a CBC (complete blood count) then methamphetamine can be detected in the blood during blood testing. Methamphetamine is detectable in blood for 1-3 days. Levels over 100 ng/ml are considered consistent with abuse.

Many Companies go through the procedure of blood testing , and they are most of the time trying to detect the drug metabolites in blood .

Hence if your sister is taking this drug for a long time, there are chances that it will get detected in blood.

Follow-up: Will meth show up while doing the thyroid tests? 49 minutes later
So it could come up even if that's not what they are looking for? They are testing her for blood clot and for light headedness, not an actual drug test. So would it show up if they are not looking for it?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

D dimer is the test which is basically done to rule out blood clots and CBC (complete blood count) the hemoglobin levels ( in cases of anemia) and platelet count.

However whether methamphetamine will come up on blood test (CBC) or not depends on the concentration of the metabolite in the sample.

If it is high then it may show up. Also routine blood tests are not very specific for methamphetamine and sometimes false positive results may also show up when a person is taking allergy tablets, cold and cough medicines, sudafed and over the counter nasal sprays.

In that case, specific drug tests are ordered which needs specialized equipment and medically trained administers.

In nutshell, methamphetamine may show up in the blood tests but they are not very specific for the detection of this drug as false positives with other drugs are also there.