Will looking at the lamp light can hurt the eye?

If a reading lamp is shining brightly, and I am sometimes looking at it, can that hurt my eyes?
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later

Yes, it does affect your eyes.If the light is of much intensity then the chemicals involved in the visual cycle gets temporarily depleted in the retina and cause dimness in the vision for the rest of the day.This may not be serious but does cause a temporary problem in the vision.

The other commonly encountered symptom due to exposure to shiny light would be headache.This happens due to spasm of the pupillary muscle which contracts like a camera shutter to avoid passing of excess light into the eye.This when exposed to light frequently goes into spasm and cause headache.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you goo health.