Will it be safe to play with a ruptured ear drum?

ENT Specialist
Question
Would it be safe to allow my son to play football tonite, with a ruptured ear drum. He has ear drops and meds for infection
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since football is a contact sport, do not allow you son to play. He may also get sudden imbalance while playing.

2. With a ruptured eardrum and since he is on ear drops and medication he may also develop an ear infection, hearing loss or dizziness from additional trauma or soiling of the ear with dirt or perspiration.

I must emphasize that this is a valid precaution, however important his football game tonight may be. Even ear plugs are contraindicated.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Will it be safe to play with a ruptured ear drum? 2 days later
How long before a child can return to sports, with a ruptured ear drum . He has to take meds for ten days , then follow up with regular doctor, for a recheck of ear.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Healing will be quick if the size of the tear in the ear drum is small or the edges of the perforation are near each other.

2. Healing is also faster in young children.

3. Average healing time may thus vary from a few days to a few weeks. Most dry small traumatic ear drum ruptures that I see heal within two to six weeks, even in adults.

4. The eardrum has a tremendous capacity to heal. While the eardrum is healing, it is very delicate and hence his return to sports should be avoided till it heals completely.

Regards.