Will have gastric bypass operation. Will meth leave smoke in lungs and affect operation?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
im having gastric bypass operation the told me to be smke free from cigs at least a mth. ive smoked meth ,will that leave smoke in my lungs and affect my operation
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Let me explain you why you have to keep away from smoking before a major sugery involving General anesthesia

Smoking causes inflammation of the mucosa of bronchus which can lead to spasm during anesthesia and your oxygen levels can fall during surgery - which in turn can lead to major Cardiorespiratory issues

After major surgery you need chest physiotherapy to maintian oxygen levels, smokers usually have low vital capacity which can lead to problems with maintaining ventilation without support

It is not that the smoke will settle in lungs and cause any problems

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon