Will grapefruit cause amplified effects in blood levels?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
will grapefruit cause amplified effects in blood levels?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Grapefruit can cause increased levels of some dru.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit can cause increased levels in the blood of some drugs. This can increase the risk of side effects or alter the effect the medicine has.
Some statins are affected in this way. Simvastatin and atorvastatin are increased in the blood by grapefruit.
Some calcium channel blockers which are prescribed for the control of blood pressure may be affected. These include rampril, felodipine and amlodipine as well as many others.
Cyclosporine and other immunosuppressants and some cytotoxic medicines used to treat cancer may also be affected by grapefruit.
For the drugs that you are taking, there is no evidence that they are affected by grapefruit.
I would suggest that if you are on any other drugs in addition to the ones you have mentioned in your medical history or you have further concerns that your drugs may interact with grapefruit, stop drinking or eating grapefruit until you have discussed any possible interactions with your doctor.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Will grapefruit cause amplified effects in blood levels? 6 minutes later
Can Hot Ginger tea or ginsene or DayQuil containing aceptomphen,dextromethphan HBR 10mg, phenyleprine hci 5mg have and effect on blood levels for soma?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
There are some possible interactions between XXXXXXX and DayQuil. XXXXXXX can affect the breakdown of the drugs in DayQuil and therefore there is a possibility of an increase in side effects. These may be sedation, dizziness and nausea.
If the XXXXXXX contains aspirin then Ginsene may interact with it and increase slightly the chance of bleeding as they both have an effect on blood clotting.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Will grapefruit cause amplified effects in blood levels? 11 minutes later
what else can cause elevated blood level for XXXXXXX concentration in the blood?
5 hour energy Drinks?
I take amlodipine for my blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 hours later
Hi, XXXXXXX compound contains aspirin and if you are also taking amlodipine you may need your blood pressure checking more frequently. The combination may cause your blood pressure to increase. However, do not alter your amlodipine doseage without consulting your doctor.
Dr K A Pottinger