Will glucosamine hydrochloride help in curing lower back pain ?

Would Glucosamine hydrochoride help if you have low back pain and high blood pressure?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 53 minutes later

Glucosamine is normally used in patients with osteoarthritis. It is used in two forms sulfate and hydrochloride form. There is a debate on best formulation, but there is no conclusive evidence so as to which is more effective.

The drug is not approved by FDA, so it is not used as a prescription drug in USA but is used widely in all over Europe for osteoarthritis. There is no conclusive study that suggests its effectiveness in treating the disease but is still widely used as it is effective in some patients. .

It is used in back pain to provide relief to patients but as said earlier there is no conclusive evidence to support the claim. I would suggest you to use it for 10 to 12 weeks as it takes 6 - 8 weeks to start its action. Continue using it on advise of your physician if you have good outcome after its usage. There are no severe adverse effects for short term use but for long term use it has not been studied yet.

There is no evidence to suggest its use in high blood pressure. The major concern of its use is in diabetes as it is known to affect the insulin sensitivity.

Hope I have answered your queries. I would be available to answer if you have further questions.
Follow-up: Will glucosamine hydrochloride help in curing lower back pain ? 12 hours later
Do you know any different medicines that could help back pain get better?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar Kalal 1 hour later
There are many reasons why you could have a back pain. Without physical examination and required tests I cannot prescribe a proper drug. I would suggest you see a physician and he will be able to help you the most with medication.

I would be available to answer if have any further questions.