Will fluconazole help in curing yeast infection?

General Surgeon
I was prescribed Nitrofurantonin mono/mac 100 MG and it gave me a yeast infection. I was prescribed fluconazole for the yeast infection and told to wait 2 days after my last antibiotic dose to take it. Will the fluconazole work?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes it should work Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks gor writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. We have bacteria and fungi living in harmonay in our body. When we take antibiotics it acts on both good and bad bacterias the same. This alters the balance, giving chance to other organisms like yeast and fungi to flourish, as the good bacterias were supressing them till then. This is how you got the yest infection. And as flucanazole is antifungal, it will surely act on those yeast and clear them. So take them as prescribed. Hope that i have answered all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get well soon. Dr. Ashish Verma