Will exercises like treadmill and cycling affect my recovery from hip replacement?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fifteen months ago, I had total hip replacement of right hip. Now I think I have some problems with my left hip, however, since I have spinal stenosis I am not certain about hip pain source. My question has to do with riding upright bike and treadmill. Since May, I have ridden, twice a week, upright bike for 15 minutes per session and treadmill for five. Will these exercises (in Gold's Gym) help or hurt my hip?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult orthopaedic surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. You should take your precautions at the moment and you should not do rigorous exercises like treadmill and cycling at this time of recovery. You can walk daily for 15 - 20 min. You should consult orthopedic surgeon. He will do your physical examination and advise you xray of pelvis with both hips AP view. Then he will tally all the reports and then your doctor will advise you different exercises according to your reports. You should regularly followup with your doctor to assess the condition of both hips. You can also send me your recent reports (if any) so that I am able to help you better. You are already taking many medicines. In addition you may also discus about aceclofenac + thiocochicoside combination. I hope you have got your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Follow-up: Will exercises like treadmill and cycling affect my recovery from hip replacement? 5 hours later
I may not have given you enough information. Thank you for your helpful information. I am concerned that maybe I have overdone the exercises. I did play golf, rode cart, last golf season once a week April, May, XXXXXXX July, Aug, Sept, Oct 2013. Hip surgery was Oct. 2012 and I was given the go ahead for activities in 2013. I will go back to the specialist who did the surgery and see how the left hip looks and ask why my right one (surgrery) itches and burns so often. Again, thanks for your helpful reply.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you must take care of your hip joints. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your response. My friend you have got my point as you are intelligent person. You must have follow up for every 6 months regarding both your hip joints and lower back as you are golf player. After your physical examination you doctor would tally his report with x-ray findings and act accordingly. He will advise you many exercises for your muscle strengthening of back also. I will love to play golf with you if ever you came to India and I will learn tips and tricks from you. At-last I would like to say that you should not ignore your hip joints and consult orthopedic surgeon as early as possible. Try to avoid weight lifting, pushing and pulling heavy objects as much as you can. I hope you have got your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Follow-up: Will exercises like treadmill and cycling affect my recovery from hip replacement? 25 minutes later
I like your personality and appreciate your professional counsel. I have had a number of friends from India but none have played golf with me. Wish I could oblige you in golf. I plan to heed your suggestions even though it is difficult for me to discontinue the gym exercises which are easier on me than the outdoor walking. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can do light gym exercises. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your response my friend. It is very good that you have a number of Indian friends and I love to learn tips and tricks of golf from you. My friend, I have given you advise for your benefit. You can do light gym exercises along with morning walk but please do not lift heavy weights. Once you have consultation with your doctor, then you may do these exercise with advise of your doctor. Apart from exercise you should also take balanced diet, do not take alcohol or smoking. You should concentrate on strengthening exercises but with light weights. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: WWW.WWWW.WW Let me know if you have any concerns. Thanks. Dr.Singh.