Will enema suppository help in improving bowel movements in children?

General Surgeon
My nephew is 2 yrs old with no allergies, medical conditons and has been constipated since yesterday. I gave him a pedialaz suppository last night and he still didnt have bowel movement. I was wondering if i can continue to give him milk or i must stop it altogether? Please advise. Would it be safe to purchase enema suppository to use on a 2yr old? My nephew keeps crying every 20-30 min and I am not sure if I need to bring him to a hospital or wait it out? Please advise asap. I've already used 1 pedialax suppository last night and he didn't have any bowel movement.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Give him one dose of Bisacodyl suppository Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day It's quite common to see children not pass stool for couple of day. You should definitely continue giving his feeds and not starve him. If there is no distension of abdomen and he is accepting feeds well the there seems to be no cause for concern. I usually advice the parents the following which I am sure will help your nephew too 1. Single insertion of rectal suppository like Bisacodyl ( 5 mg Pediatric suppository) will definitely lead to bowel evacuation. 2. Even if there is no passage of stools and the child is comfortable, accepting feeds, no distension of abdomen. Then there is no cause for concern. Leave the issue alone and the child should spontaneously have bowel movements. By 3 years of age the child should be toilet trained, which means the child should be able top tell that it is about to pass stools and he or she paases the stools at appropriate site. I would also advise the following to prevent constipationI future. Prevention is all always better than cure. 1. Give him adequate quantity of water 1 hour before meals. 2. Avoid purely only milk based feeds: milk is definitely necessary for the child as it is required for development and it is the most nutritious natural fluid. Apart from giving milk, supplement his diet with fiber containing foods-- vegetable salad, apple( do not remove the skin of the XXXXXXX to make it palatable cut into small pieces m add milk and sugar to it) 3. Avoid giving juices- Extraction of juice from fruit deprives the nutrients and fiber from the fruits. It's almost equivalent to giving fructose syrup. Give whole fruits instead of juices 4. Avoid constipation causing diet: biscuits, cookies, bread, chocolate 5. Rule out any painful local condition of anus like fissure which could be the cause of constipation. I advice the Parents to implement these in daily care of child. It has helped all and I am sure will help your nephew too. I would reassure you again that in case of your nephew there is no cause for concern. I hope it helped. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: Will enema suppository help in improving bowel movements in children? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for all your suggestions in preventing constipation, that was very helpful. My nephew finally passed stool right now after having the first suppository that was inserted 14hrs ago. His stool was rock solid, should I be concerned? Or just a balanced diet as you suggestedwould solve the problem? Please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diet modification will be helpful Detailed Answer: Greetings There is no cause for occasional hard stools like this . Just diet modification will be helpful. I hope it helped. Wishing you and your family a very happy new year 2014. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon