Will ectopic pregnancy damage my tube and what are the chances of conception with IUI in one tube?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Dr. I am 33 yrs old trying to conceive since 1 and half year. But not able to. Currently going through a serious problem. My Case History ----------------------- I have PCOD prob. From the beginning my period is never regular Treatment Gone through So far: --------------------------------------- 1) tried naturally 5 months with Ovulation Induction treatment (siphene). 4 times ovulated . But could not conceive. 2) Taking Glycomet and MCBM since 1 year Current Poblem I tried IUI in Dec 6 2013. Before IUI i did the HSG test(tube test). Result says both tubes are open. Took siphene and 12 injection to grow follicle and one HCG injection to rapture the Follicle Got pregnant with IUI , but unfortunately yesterday it was found as 'ectopic pregnancy' with the ultrasound :( i found the EP on 5th week and 4th day of my pregnancy. Which was yesterday. As a symptom i am having heavy pain in my lower abdomen , mainly in left side and had a light bleeding. my Dr gave me a injection 'methotrexate ' yesterday to stop the pregnancy and asked me to come again after 2 days. As per my doector, if the injection will not work i have to go for a surgery to remove my left tube :( and in either case my one tube will be damage for ever Here my query is 1) Whether in Ectopic pregnancy one tube will be damage and will become nonfunctional for ever 2) What may be the cause of Ectopic pregnancy? 3) What should i do further to conceive 4) If i am trying IUI again with one tube, is there is more chance to get the same EP again. 5) i had plan to do a laparoscopy for my PCOD. Will it helpfull for me in any way I am really feeling hopeless and Down now. Please suggest me what should i do now. Regards, XXXX
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ectopic Detailed Answer: Hi 1. It is unfortunate that you have ectopic pregnancy. If sac is small and no heart beat you might possibly be successful with methotrexate and no need to operate. 2. If need arises for Laparoscopy, ask your doctor for salpingostomy where tube is not removed but preserved after removing ectopic sac. 3. If tube is removed you can still try with one tube when ovulation occurs from that side. 4. There seems to be no reason for ectopic pregnancy in your case. It seems to be spontaneous. The chance of another ectopic is negligible. 5. Please dont go for Laparoscopy drilling for PCOS. It is not useful in your case. Let me know if there are any other doubts. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol IVF & INFERTILITY SPECIALIST
Follow-up: Will ectopic pregnancy damage my tube and what are the chances of conception with IUI in one tube? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr for your Reply, For me Dr said, there is no hart beat visible now. I took the injection yesterday. But i am still having the heavy pain. Not bleeding though. But not able to do regular work even. How much time it take usually to work the injection. Can you please suggest, whether i can go for an IUI again next time. When i can try again to conceive. Shell i go for IVF , as i am already 33 now. Is there any chances of EP in IVF. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi You can definitely try IUI again. No problem. It might take about 10 days for final decision based on injection response. Please continue methotrexate. Chances of another ectopic are minimum though cant be predicted exactly. Regards