Will drinking alcohol regularly cause serious problems?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
my husband drinks alcohol every week. either 2 beers or 3 pegs of alcohol. he drinks alone even if there is no company.he is 30yrs old.he must be drinkin like this for almost 5 to 6 yrs now. we both work in an MNC where drinkin once a week has become normal social drinking. though my moral values say its a bad habit he continues to convince me that its fine. kindly advice how to handle this habit of his. Iam afraid this will lead to serious consequences.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prove that alcohol is harming him. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Your concern about your husband's drinking pattern is well founded. Alcohol dependence starts in similar pattern with the regular intake of small amounts of alcohol, which gradually and steadily increases with passing years. Unfortunately, your husband will not be willing to accept that he has a problem with alcohol. Whatever you say will only appear as nagging to him. In my opinion, showing him objective evidence of alcohol related harm will be a better idea, rather than trying to convince him with just words. Get your husband to test his blood for complete blood cell counts, liver function tests and lipid profile tests. You can also get an ultrasound of the abdomen. The tests are likely to show some abnormalities in view of his regular drinking for years. You can then ask him to modify his drinking in consideration of the abnormal reports. You can also try asking his parents to intervene, though probably it will not make much of a difference. In my opinion, getting evidence of damage to his body from alcohol seems the best method in which you can convince him to amend his ways. Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry