Will double mastectomy affect fertility? Have regular periods

Infertility Specialist
I want to know if i have a double mastectomy will it affect my fertility we want to get pregnant as soon as possible and i realise i will have to wait for the wounds to heal but have heard conflicting information. Will i get my period as normal%3F%0AI am 36 years old have regular periods and have a 11 month old baby who we fell pregnant with very quickly so there are no other fertility issues. %0AWe are still waiting on biopsy results but due to BRCA1%2B am considering still performing dm even if results are clear but want to be armed with information before making any decisions%0ANot sure if your the right specialist doctor to be asking%3F
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 54 minutes later
First i assure you that definitely you are talking to a right specialist as I am working in the field of infertility and gynecologic oncology as well.
Answering the first part of your question, there should be no problem getting your periods after mastectomy unless and until you are taking any form of chemotherapy for breast cancer. But i suppose, in your case mastectomy was done since you were BRCA 1 positive and if the biopsy reports show no evidence of cancer you need not worry.
But regards to the fact that if you want another baby, you should plan it earlier.BRCA1 positive patients have an 30 to 60% increased risk of ovarian cancer in addition to breast cancer risk and hence should opt for prophylactic removal of ovaries soon after they complete their families.You can talk in this regard to your gynecologist.
I think I have answered your query and like to answer any further as well.But first I assure you that planning a pregnancy earlier is essential but not that urgent before your wound heals.