Will dehydration interfere with blood sugar value?

HI had general physical and had fasting glucose or 105 ml/dl at the time of test was deyhydrated due to diarea from rapaflo 8 mg my question is could this cause reading higher than normal in myself or am I pre diabetic because my pancreas should control my insulin regardless I since stopped taking medicine due to diarea
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dehydration is likely to cause low blood sugar. Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Fasting blood sugar levels between 100 to 126 mg / dl is called as impaired fasting glucose. By definition you are a Pre diabetic. Now coming to your question whether dehydration might have interfered with the blood sugar value and show high reading. In the case of dehydration it is likely that the blood sugar levels are usually lower than the normal due to lack of food intake and infection. So it is most unlikely that dehydration may be the reason. In this doubtful condition i would advice my patient to repeat FBS, PPBS, HbA1c and GET after a month. The results of the above blood test which give us a clear picture whether you have Pre diabetes or not. Consult your doctor and ask him for the above mentioned blood test. Get back to me with the result. Based on the results I may be able to diagnose and give your advice on diabetes. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have any clarification. Regards, Dr. Basheer Ahamed.
Follow-up: Will dehydration interfere with blood sugar value? 2 hours later
why do I have to wait for further tests
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: To confirm the diagnosis of Pre diabetes. Detailed Answer: Hello, The above mentioned test are recommended to confirm the diagnosis of Pre diabetes. FBS between 100 to 126 mg / dl, HbA1c between 5.7 to 6 % are diagnostic of pre diabetes. This has clinical importance because pre diabetic patients are prone to develop diabetes in 5 to 7 years. So to prevent or postpone diabetes lifestyle modification like diet and exercise has to be followed for now onwards.