Will daily intake of beer decrease blockage and increase brain activities?

Hello doctor.. I have a question about alcohol (beer) consumption... It is for my friends.. They believe that couple of tin of beers every day has tremendous health benefit on heart, increases good cholestrol, decreases blockages, increases brain activities, metabolism etc Can you please tell me... if it is true or no? Won't a tin of beer everyday have bad effects? My friends are in age group of 26-32.. Wont prolonged drinking have bad effects even if it is 330 ml per day of beer?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the query. This is a very relevant question especially for todays teenagers. Everywhere drinking is being promoted as a safe measure. We must remember that most of the studies on alcohol safety are done in western population. Indians tolerate much less doses, also females tolerate even half that dose. So we are not sure how much is safe drinking. In addition to liver damage it predisposes to cancers also. Also there is a thin line between safe and hazardous drinking which may be crossed any time. I feel there are much better ways to reduce heart blockages, increase brain activities and keep your heart safe than drinking. I hope this answers your query. Happy to help.
Follow-up: Will daily intake of beer decrease blockage and increase brain activities? 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the reply. Will Drinking one tin of beer a day prove useful? Or it has adverse effect after many years? How will it affect liver and other organs? And how much would be safe drinking for indian men considering indian lifestyle (taking into account functionality of liver and other important organs)?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 19 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thank you for the query. Can take it twice or thrice a week. Unlikely to have side effects. Its not proven how much is safe for indian men but I guess 2 pegs twice a week is reasonable. Best wishes