Will cutting oxycontin into 4 parts make it ineffective?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello, I am prescribed oxycontin op 10 mg, 3x a day. My insurance is very expensive for 90 pills a month. It would be cheaper if I was prescribed a higher dosage, such as 40mg and split it in fourth and still took the 10mg 3x a day.
My question is whether oxycontin op can be cut in halfs and then fourths? I know that they cannot be crushed or chewed as they are turned into gel. Obviously, that is not a problem for me. However, I am concerned that cutting them will render them in effective as well. I would like to know this to see whether it is worth asking my doctor for a change in prescription. I felt uneasy about asking her for the prescription in the first place as there is such a negative stigma attached to this medication. I would greatly appreciate your answer. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Oxycontin can be cut into pieces & can be used if preserved in moisture free, sterile environment with minimum loss of potency.

It is available in 10, 20, 30, 40mg, even generic version is also in market in some country.

Oxycontin slow release or sustained release or extended release form (tablets or capsules ) if available is better option than cutting into pieces.

There is no harm in making polite request to your doctor for changing your prescription to slow release or sustained release tablet of cheaper version for economical reason.

Doctors never mind helping their patients, to solve genuine problems.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries If any.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Will cutting oxycontin into 4 parts make it ineffective? 55 minutes later
I already take the time-release version. The new OP formula. Does you answer apply to the new OP version as well? I do not want it to become ineffective because I split the pill.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 14 hours later
Hello
Nice to see you again     

Time release or extended release is a form of tables or capsules that releases medicines over longer duration of time.

There effect last for 12 to 24 hours so number of doses comes down & in some cases even the cost of medicines.

The new OP formula is also coming in the markets. But I straight forward don`t recommend that.

For any alteration in medicines preparations or once opened delayed use causes some loss of potency of medicines or partial loss of its effectiveness.

Stigma attached to medicine abuse is causing undue discomfort to genuine patients.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Will cutting oxycontin into 4 parts make it ineffective? 29 minutes later
I am prescribed the new OP. Can I cut it in half or will it not longer effective. I know some formulas were said to possible have a chemical in it the would render the oxycodone in it ineffective.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 minutes later
Hello
Nice to see you again     

It is the partial loss of potency ,not completely ineffective .

Two are quite different .

Potency loss can be 10-20% ,so it is not completely ineffective

New OP is also available in the market.

If you have any doubt about the effectiveness , never cut it .