Will cutting down on smoking and reducing weight increase fertility and chances to concieve?

Sep 2013

Hi I contacted you a couple of months ago regarding fertility. My husband has decided on his own that he is going to cut down on cigarettes on smoking by half his usual intake and I am going to lose weight (currently 17 stone). Do you see this make an impact on both our fertility to enable us to have a baby together, we have been checked out gynae wise and nothing wrong but husband wont do a semen analysis. If he cuts down can it bring his sperm back to a more normal level if there was anything wrong. I have started taking folic acid and husband is having multivitamins.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: INFERTILITY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Once again thanks for query . Here I want to say one thing that chance of conception is very good in your case provided that sperm count is normal . Once again I read your report of 13/04/2013 ,only concerning point is endometrium thickness (6.4 mm ) . Now answer of your question. Heavy smoking decrease sperm count, this is scientifically proven. But cut down of smoking increases sperm count, this is not scientifically proved so I am also in dilemma. You are going to reduce weight 17 stones, that will increase chance of conception in your case. If possible please get in SEMEN analysis of your husband so that (after report) I can assure you something positively. I understand your concern. Good luck. Further you can ask in follow up . Dr. HET
Follow-up: Will cutting down on smoking and reducing weight increase fertility and chances to concieve? 46 minutes later
How does endometrium thickness hinder getting pregnant. What can I do
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infertility. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX . Endometrium thickness must be around 10-11 mm, but this is a natural born (congenital). But still as I mentioned in previous replies that you can conceive successfully if all other parameters are up to standard. Hope for good luck.
Follow-up: Will cutting down on smoking and reducing weight increase fertility and chances to concieve? 1 hour later
Hi I have been trying to conceive for quite a few months. The problem is I am 38 and have never ever been pregnant, I was never sexually active until I was 26, even when I was active I only had sex maybe once or twice a month is is only the past 12 months where I have had intercourse I would say once every 4-6 weeks. I am really worried that I will never get pregnant as I have never caught before. I have attached an ultrasound scan report, My GP and Gynaecologist are happy with the report and say there is no reason why I cant conceive naturally. I ovulate regular, my husband wont have a semen analysis. The problem is my husband drinks within the alcohol guidelines and smokes cigarettes, he currently smokes about 30 a day, he is trying to cut them down by half, so hopefully this will improve sperm if he does have a problem. I am currently overweight at 17 stone and I am making lifestyle changes to lose weight for health of me and hopefully my baby. Do you see we should be able to conceive naturally if we both stick with our lifestyle changes? Is there anything my husband or I can take to boost our fertility or is it basically just down to us both having more intercourse. PCOS has been ruled out by Gynaecologist Many thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer: INFERTILITY Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Once again happy to see that you are perfectly all right and a very good for conception. As you yourself mentioned that SEX only once in 4-6 weeks , that was not sufficient for conception . That may be the reason that you didn't got pregnancy because ovulation occurs once in a month and only 72 hours ( even in few cases more than this ) for conception . Now note down this thing carefully ,this time when you get PERIOD ,count it as . Day one first day of menses (period ) and sex on day 13th, 14th ,15th ( please don't miss any day ) . In my opinion as we had discussed earlier you will get pregnancy . As your husband agreed to decrease smoking and you agreed to reduce weight , so both things will help ( as we discussed in previous replies ) for successful conception. As you mentioned that you did't have any pcos ,this is also a positive point in your favor. My dear XXXXXXX ,still I will say ,please convene your husband for SEMEN analysis as I think this will further boost good result . There are so many drugs which increases SPERM count so still there is good hope ( if sperm count is less). Further any question ,you can ask in follow up without any hesitation. Good luck for future. Dr.HET
Follow-up: Will cutting down on smoking and reducing weight increase fertility and chances to concieve? 10 hours later
Is there anything natural we can buy to boost sperm count even if husband wont have semen analysis this is a problem as he will not do it
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: CLOMIPHENE CITRATE Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Scientifically there is no way to improve sperm counts with natural way . When sperm count is less in my patient I usually prescribe CLOMIPHENE CITRATE tablets 25 mg daily for 25 days followed by a rest period of 5 days , for 3 months . This product you can take from a chemist shop.Further any question I will happily reply. Good luck. Dr. HET
Follow-up: Will cutting down on smoking and reducing weight increase fertility and chances to concieve? 18 minutes later
If husband cuts down his smoking to half of what he normally has can this help us to conceive naturally as I have heard that smoking doesnt always cause infertility in men
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: cutting down on smoking helps Detailed Answer: Cutting down on smoking as much as possible will definitely help in conception. The chances are higher than regular smoker.