Will cutting down on pizza inatke lower triglyceride levels?

Hi! So I'm 20 years old and an avid runner and just got some blood work done. Everything turned out fine except for my tryglycerides were high. I'm a healthy 150 pounds and run 30-100 miles per week however I do eat a lot of pizza. If I cut out a lot of the pizza should my tryglycerides go down a lot? They were at 216 mg/dl The pizza has a lot of oil in it as well as a LOT of flour. I will be sure to limit my consumption from time to time. Thank you so much!
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, if it is very rich in fats/lipids Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this high levels of triglycerides. This is really borderline high and does not represent any immediate threat to good health. However, taking active measures to address any further increase in its levels is a great idea. This test is normally done after 9-12hours of fasting in order to be able to compare to the standards. If this is the case, then we are good to interpret them as they are without any fear of any misrepresentation. If the pizza you eat has a high lipid content, then it would be helpful to drive down the triglycerides numbers. I generally discourage patients from eating lots of fast food because it is rarely balanced enough to provide all the necessary nutrient we need in the right proportions. Home prepared meals are good but having a slice of pizza from time to time is good. I wish you well and hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for more clarifications and related questions if need be. Am glad to hear you would be limiting how much of the Pizza you eat as you rightly say it contains so much oil. This would be very helpful to wish. Thanks for using our services and feel free to always contact me if you need any medical advice. Dr. Ditah, MD.