Will consumption of I-pill affect future pregnancy?

Hi Doc Me and my wife had unprotected sex yesterday but she doesn't want pregnancy so she is planning to take an i-pill. Will it affect her conceiving future pregnancy. regards XXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It will not affect future pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. I-pill is a single dose tablet and should be taken as early as possible and not later than 72 hours of unprotected sex. It is not effective if taken 72 hours after unprotected sex. It is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours. This will not affect her future chances of conception but she may have mild bleeding few days after taking the pill. Her routine period can also be delayed by a few days. Do not worry. This is not indicative of pregnancy. But I would advise you to use a surer way contraception like regular oral pills as I-pill if taken repeatedly can cause menstrual irregularities. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL