Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
HI Doctor
My wife has given birth to boy baby last month, She is taking amway nutrilite Omega 3 Supplement daily right from 6 month of pregnancy to till date, she is breastfeeding now... Since she is consuming it daily..will it affect our baby in anyway ?... Why I am asking is , the supplement is made from salmon fish..I heard that those fishes contains mercury and it harmful for the health. Actually my friend told omega 3 supplement is good for brain development of the baby. So I adviced my wife to take one softgel daily.
I am confused now.. to make her to continue in taking the supplement or stop her..please tell me the solution...nutrilite salmon omega 3supplement is good or bad.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 7 hours later

Although Amway products are very popular worldwide, there is no need to give it right now to your wife. Breast milk by nature, is the best food your baby can get.

Do not worry. International products are subjected to strict conditions; I am pretty sure there is no mercury in the product you had mentioned. But having said that, it does not mean your wife needs to take that.

Stick to healthy diet with plenty of milk, fruits and vegetables. Ask her to eat a balanced diet. She can continue her iron, folic acid and calcium tablets on alternate days.

Hope I cleared your doubts. Please feel free to contact me for further enquiries.

Dr Arun
Follow-up: Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child? 14 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
I am just curious to know the reason why it is not needed. Can u please elaborate me Doctor.
Is it over dosage or it is harmful in this stage or gives side effects?
But It said that Omega 3 is one of the essential thing for Babies brain development and also for other purpose like eye sight etc and it is much required.
As you said , it is accepted that by eating healthy food and maintaining balanced diet we can get it all the required things. But now a days foods are not naturally made, added with chemicals / contaminated and not with much stuff in it. If it is not true then there won't be necessity for us to go for the supplements and there won't be companies like nutrilite etc.
I am happy that , I am communicating with right person for keeping our baby healthy. Waiting eagerly for reply Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Arun 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Omega 3 fatty acids are indeed needed for baby’s brain growth. Breast milk has the best content provided mother takes nuts, vegetables like soya, fish or fish oil regularly. I would suggest you could continue your Amway if your wife cannot take the food items XXXXXXX in omega 3 regularly. e.g. fish 2 times in a week.

However, breast-feeding is more important. Try feeding your baby up to 2 years. Start other foods by 6 months.

To reassure you again, no harm would have been done to your baby.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr Arun
Follow-up: Will consuming omega 3 supplement affect a breast fed child? 13 hours later
Thank you very much doctor for your valuable inputs. Its really useful for us.
Can you please suggest me what are foods we can start giving to our baby after six months in addition with breast feeding.
Particularly I want my son to have good IQ, Concentration power and Intelligence and Brain power( since I don't have all these capabilities, I don't want my son also be the same) with good health.
He should study well and must be an outstanding student in future.
So please guide us in his diet and the way to take care him to XXXXXXX our expectations.

Answered by Dr. Arun 11 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

After six months you can start your baby on rice kanji, idlis, ragi, dal, boiled XXXXXXX banana, etc. Make sure you provide him balanced diet - that means cereals plus pulses plus vegetables plus fruits. You can add little ghee or oil. Do not add sugar. You can start with one new food every week, add another next week and so on.

Don't forget to continue breast feeds.

Gradually increase number of other feeds and decrease breast feeds till 2 years.

Non vegetarian diet like chicken can be given from 6 months as soups. Eggs yellow from 8months and white from 1 year can be given.

Home based diet would be any day better. This is what I have been giving to my kid.

Hope this helps.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Your feed backs are appreciated.