Will codeine cough syrup help in curing flu?

Question
HI I HAVE A HIGH TOLERANCE TO MOST DRUGS, INCLUDING NARCOTICS. I HAVE NARCO FOR KNEE SURGERY AND I HAVE TAKEN THREE TODAY (NORMAL FOR ME - COULD USE MORE - I HAVE SOME CONTROL. THIS PAST WEEK I HAVE HAD A KILLER FLU EVEN WITH THE FLU SHOT. THE MD ONLY GAVE ME CODEINE COUGH SYRUP FOR CONGESTION, AND I HAVE TAKEN A SMALL AMOUNT. SHOULD I JUST GO TAKE A NAP?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Advised to take a nap and get more rest... Detailed Answer: Hi, If your doctor did not reported any bronchitis or other bacterial infection as he only prescribed codeine cough syrup for congestion, then, you are only passing a bad flu period. Please bare in mind that it would take up to 3 weeks for the flu to go while the worst days would last from 5 to 10 days. So, I suggest to take a nap as you are taking enough medications for the moment and have some tea (I usually prescribe linden tea). I would also advise to take some multivitamin supplementation to strengthen your immune system to overcome such common infection. A healthy diet regimen (including chicken/veggie soups) and light and frequent meals are also advised. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Alba