Will betamethasone help in curing phimosis?

Jul 2016

I believe I may have phimosis and do not want to be circumcised. Would betamethasone help me?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please consult qualified Urologist. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you suspect to have Phimosis. This can be confirmed only on clinical examination by a qualified Urologist. There are so many creams available in market which claim to be effective in treating Phimosis but the results are not encouraging and longer lasting. If you do not wish to get circumcised you have second option of what is called as Dorsal Slit of the foreskin where the foreskin is incised along the dorsal aspect so that it can be retracted freely over glans penis and will not face any problem in performing the sex. However the cosmetic results of this procedure are not accepted by many people as look of the penis is changed . Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Will betamethasone help in curing phimosis? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your prompt response, Dr. XXXXXXX I do indeed suspect that I have phimosis, as I have never been able to fully retract my foreskin over the glans when erect. When flaccid, I do not have this problem, but I notice that when I retract my foreskin to rinse myself in the shower, a bottleneck forms, for lack of a better term that comes to mind at this moment. This becomes more prominent if I start to become erect and occurs regardless of whether I've been in a warm shower for five minutes or fifteen minutes. I do plan on seeing a qualified urologist to confirm at a later date when I receive full insurance coverage, and I figure I'd have do so anyway if I wanted to be prescribed a topical as part of my treatment. Supposing that were not an option, based off of your expertise that such topicals are neither encouraging nor long lasting in their results, would there be any non-invasive options available to me, or would I have to resort to the least invasive option of a dorsal slit? In your experience, have your patients who had opted for a dorsal slit requested circumcision shortly after? What cosmetic results could I expect to see? I apologize for the various questions, but I would like to gain a better perspective for when I do have this conversation at the urologist's. If there's anything I've learned, it's that if the appointment is remotely like the ones I have with my primary care physician, I won't have much time to really discuss the topic as I would like. Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Circumcision is not covered under Insurance. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. First you have to get confirmed whether you have Phimosis .? If confirmed you can certainly go for dorsal slit .It does not require Circumcision afterwards.and you will be able to retract foreskin completely so that you will have enjoyable sex. As regards cosmetic part it does not look like normal penis and I have experienced that female partners or spouse are not happy with the look of the penis . The cream or ointment are of no use at all . Circumcision is the best option and gives permanent cure . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Will betamethasone help in curing phimosis? 24 minutes later
Thank you again for your prompt response. What are your thoughts regarding preputioplasty? Again, I'm trying to explore all options short of circumcision, as I would like to remain as intact as possible?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Preputionoplasty is varient of Dorsal slit. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. Preputionoplaty is a variant of Dorsal Slit and is advised when retraction of foreskin is is painful due to band of adhesion .In preputionoplasty the dorsal slit is sutured transversely . This will avoid circumcision and will help to preserve the the sensation of foreskin .However the the cosmetic aspect is same as dorsal slit. Final decision is yours. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Will betamethasone help in curing phimosis? 1 minute later
Thank you for clarifying that. I really appreciate it!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please go ahead and get it done. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing again. Please go ahead and take the decision .and get the surgery done . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.