Will be short of ambien medicine. Can extra xanax be taken to get sleep?

I will be short 3 ambien and my doctor is on vacation. Can I take extra zANAX TO GET SOME SLEEP IF THE ISNSURANCE COMPANY WONT REVEW M PRESECRIPTION 3 DAYS EARLY.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If situation demands, you can take extra Xanax.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Both Ambien and Xanax have sedative effects. Ambien (Zolpidem) is used primarily as a sedative medication. Xanax is usually used primarily as an anti-anxiety medication, but it has mild sedative effects also.

Though it is always advisable to make any alterations in medication only under the advise of your treating doctor, in your current situation, it appears that there could be an unavoidable delay in seeing a doctor. In this situation, there is a chance that you may develop sleep disturbance if you run short of Ambien.

So, if there is absolutely no possibility of getting an timely refill prescription, in this situation alone, you can take extra Xanax to ensure that you don't suffer from a major sleep disturbance, till you see a doctor.

I would suggest that once you see the doctor, you report this problem to him and make him aware of the medication alteration that you have done, so that he can take appropriate measures to ensure that you don't face a similar problem in the future.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist