Will anti tau antibodies stop progression of pallido 'ponto nigral degeneration'?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I suffer from a rare tau aggregation illness called pallido ponto nigral degeneration and was wondering if anti tau antibodies would be a way to stop progression of this illness. I look forward to your response. Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anti tau antibodies are in experimental stage. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Anti tau antibodies are in experimental stage right now, and are being tested in animals such as mice. It has shown very promising effect and in future, it may be useful in humans too. As of now, it is not recommended for treatment of pallid ponto nigral degeneration. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Will anti tau antibodies stop progression of pallido 'ponto nigral degeneration'? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response and I also ask if you know of anything that coul help me inhibit tau aggregation.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: As of now, there is unfortunately no treatment to reverse the tau aggregation. Research is ongoing, if something becomes available, I would be pleased to share that information with you. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Will anti tau antibodies stop progression of pallido 'ponto nigral degeneration'? 13 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX thank you for your response and I would really appreciate it if you would contact me when something becomes available that could help me. regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Sure... Detailed Answer: I would be pleased to share any information in future. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)