Will an accidentally cut tendon in the hand during surgery heal properly without complications?

My husband just had surgery to put a pin in his scaphoid bone that he broke. The surgeon accidentally cut the tendon in his hand and stitched it back together. He made it sound like no big deal and said that the tendon will heal right along with the bone. I searched the internet and cannot find anyone who has experienced a similar situation. He can wiggle all his fingers that are sticking out of his soft cast. What is the outlook for such a situation? Is this a big deal?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

No it is not a big deal, but you are very right. The tendon should not have been damaged by the surgeon.
Since your husband is able to move all his fingers,it is a good sign.
Such iatrogenic(inadvertent adverse effects or complications caused by or resulting from medical treatment or advice) complications occur rarely in surgery. However, if a tendon is cut and is repaired properly there is absolutely no defect left. Tendons respond very well to repair as they are tough fibrous structures.

Concentrate on proper physiotherapy which will lead to nearly 100 % recovery.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well