Ask a Urologist   »  

Will a long non sliding foreskin affect my sexual activity ?

Hello, I am a 25 year old unmarried man. I weigh 55 Kg and I'm approximately 163 cm tall.
I am quite worried about the foreskin on my penis. The foreskin seems a little longer than usual as it generally doesnt slide back even when I have an erection. This being the case, my glans is never exposed. I have tried pulling the foreskin back manually but I was unable to due to the fear that it might cause a tear in the foreskin. I also have a doubt that my foreskin opening might be a bit too small for the glans to slide out.
However, there are no specific discoloration or marks on the foreskin and looks normal. There is also no itching or pain in the region. During my teens I used to masturbate by lying face down and rubbing my penis on the mattress and I sometimes do it even today, I am wondering if this has caused any damage to the foreskin.

I am not very keen on undergoing a circumcision, so I was wondering if there was a non-surgical alternative to the same. I am also worried if this will affect my sexual activity in any way.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Kind regards
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have described, phimosis seems likely to be the cause of your non sliding of foreskin which is a constriction of the opening of the foreskin so that it cannot be drawn back over the tip of the penis. It can also be due to scarring of the foreskin.

Treatment of phimosis skin also involves application of vitamin E creams and steroid creams like betamethasone but steroids should always be used under prescription.

Personal hygiene is very important. Clean under a retractable foreskin and always reduce it to cover the glans after cleaning. If symptoms persist then surgical treatment like circumcision and perputioplasty may be required.

I suggest you to get it examined from a dermatologist and get the treatment prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Will a long non sliding foreskin affect my sexual activity ? 58 minutes later
Dear Dr. Jasvinder XXXXXXX

Thank you so much for your reply. I have not noticed any kind of scarring on my foreskin and neither have I had any damage to it in the past.

However, the other thing that is bothering me is I reach climax quite quickly if the extra part of my foreskin (the part extending beyond the glans) is stimulated by my hand. Will my performance improve if the foreskin retracts as it is supposed to?

I have always been very keen on personal hygiene and always make sure that my private parts are adequately cleaned when I bathe.

Hoping to hear from you. Thanking you.

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Adhesions formed which can cause phimosis are present underneath the foreskin and can be caused by any prior fungal infection of the foreskin in preputial stenosis or narrowness that prevents retraction, by fusion of the foreskin with the glans penis in childhood. Sometimes the cause is not even clear.

Your performance will improve once the treatment is completed. Firstly we begin with topical treatment with vitamin E creams and steroids and it is used for 4–6 weeks to the narrow part of the foreskin.

If there is no improvement or there is ballooning of foreskin during micturition then surgical approach is entertained. Depending on the extent of phimosis, circumcision or perputioplasty can be done.

Perputioplasty is an effective alternative to full circumcision and it has the advantage of only limited pain and a short time of healing relative to circumcision and avoids cosmetic effects.

Hope this answers your query.