Will a cluster of microcalcifications turn into cancer or stay benign forever ?

Will a cluster of microcalcifications eventually turn into cancer or can it stay benign forever?

I recently have been reading about mammorgrams and how they can contribute to cancer..meaning the radiation and crushing of the breasts can actually cause cancer in someone that is young like myself (I am 40)

My cluster looks benign based on last mammogram and they suggest I just come back in 6 months, I wanted to get a second opinion but now I am scared because of what I have read. I did read one article that says that no it does not cause cancer, but I read so many that says it does. I am really confused and scared as to what to do.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 30 minutes later

Clustered microcalcifications may harbour cancer in about 30% cases (most of which are non-invasive, which mean that they are in the nascent stage of cancer development).

The most practical way is to follow them up over time. A lesion which does not change over six months can be taken as not of further concern. Otherwise, biopsy wil be required.

I think the plan suggested by your physician is reasonable. You should have a followup in six months time.

Mammography is not known to increase the risks for cancer. However, there may be a small chance, which cannot be ruled out completely. On the other hand, it is a very helpful diagnostic test and can save many lives from cancer. You should not hestitate to get another mammogram done.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.