Will a bone scan be able to detect damages done by injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX,

Would i be able to do a bone scan too see if there is any damage done by the injury besides what an MRI is showing?

Note: Please check our previous questions if you have any questions regarding this matter or message me back as soon as possible, Thank You.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
A bone scan will help in detecting any bone injury more clearly than an MRI scan. You can opt for a bone scan if the pain is persistent. A bone bruise is likely if there is no detectable fracture in the area of pain.
Please inform me the previous query id so that i can go through the previous discussion for better understanding.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Will a bone scan be able to detect damages done by injury? 7 minutes later
I have been fighting with workmans compensation and working with the VA over my injury at my place of employment, i ended up falling down a flight of stairs after the lights went out during a patrol i had i work as a security officer, Anyhow i fell down the flight of stairs an i rolled my ankle an i heard a loud popping sound and my ankle still hurts down to the slightest vibration and no one can figure out why an whats going on.. ive been out of work for almost a year now and i need help..
Asked by Me , Sat, 11 May 2013     
Doctor's reply to your question above...
The persistent pain in the ankle even after one year of injury is likely to be related to a ligament injury.
The exact diagnosis can be made by MRI scan of the ankle which will help in identifying the type and extent of injury that you have suffered.
If there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely. The discomfort and the XXXXXXX pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic ankle brace for better support while walking.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
Replied by Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal , Sat, 11 May 2013     
Disclaimer: The Expert's advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX Tayal,

I have had 2 MRI's Done an they said they werent able to find anything wrong with me.. but im not able to apply any pressure or anything without severe pain in my ankle is there anything els that can show what is wrong?
Asked by Me , Sat, 11 May 2013     
Is it possible that there is nerve damage? and if so how do you check for that..
Asked by Me , Sat, 11 May 2013     
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If no structural damage has been detected on MRI scan then it could be a nerve damage. It can be tested by nerve conduction velocity testing. You can also consult a neurologist for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Replied by Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal , Sun, 12 May 2013     

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for providing the details. The persistent pain can be due to a bone bruise and a bone scan will help in identifying the injury and the time since you had the injury. You can get it prescribed from your orthopedician.

Follow-up: Will a bone scan be able to detect damages done by injury? 25 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal. I will do that. if i have anymore questions i will message you again.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Hello.
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards

Follow-up: Will a bone scan be able to detect damages done by injury? 24 hours later
We have gotten the results back from the MRI this is what the doctor stated exactly on documentation

MRI Left Ankle:
FINDINGS: Regional bone marrow signal is within normal limits.
The XXXXXXX dome is intact. There is no evidence for an osteochondral defect.
The Calcaneofibular and anterior talofibular ligamnents are intact.
the medial supporting structures are intact. The Peroneus longus and brevis tendons are normal in signal and morphology. The distal achilles tendon is normal in signal and is morphology. A Small Tibiotalar joint effusion is present. There is no evidence for excess fluid within the retrocalcaneal bursa. The contents of the sinus tarsi are unremarkable. There are no significant degenerative changes present. regional muscle bundles are normal in signal and bulk. Edena is noted within the medical and lateral subcutaneous tissues.

Impression: Small tibiotalar joint effusion. Medial and Lateral subuctaneous edema which is nonspecific. There is no evidence for underlying ligamentous or osseous abnormality

Sorry for any spelling errors lol, Please let us know if u have anymore advice we are still waiting on an appointment for a bone scan..

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The findings of MRI scan are suggestive of mild inflammatory effusion in the tibiotalar joint. There is also mild soft tissue swelling most likely due to an inflammation.
The bony structures are normal. The pain that you have can be relieved by local cortisone injections to decrease the inflammation. Regular hot fomentation will also help.
Regards.