Will a blood transfusion delay the antibody response of HIV?

Excellent

Question
Will a blood transfusion effect a hiv antibody test to delay antibodies to show ypu on test
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood transfusions will not delay the antibody response of HIV. Normally it is said that the antibodies to the HIV virus can take up to 3 mths to appear ,in rare cases longer-up to 6 mths.
This period is called the window period- a person may have a test that it falsely negative.

A blood transfusion will not lengthen this time, the window period for antibody testing would still be 3 mths.

There are also blood tests that can detect the virus itself,these tests do not have to wait till the body mounts and response and makes enough antibodies.
The window period of these tests is shorter- 2 to 3 weeks and they can be used for an earlier diagnosis.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Will a blood transfusion delay the antibody response of HIV? 1 hour later
Ok thanks I tested with a antibody test at 4 months 6 months and 10 months . they all were negative . I need to know for sure thet the blood transfusion and heart attact I had would not effect the results. Can I go on and not worry anymore. thanks

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, yes those tests definitely confirm you are negative for hiv. The window period extends to 6 mths in some persons so any negative after this means that you are hiv negative
Please feel free ask any other questions

Last question will any medications or healt issues effect my result. Or will waiting 6 months cover everything

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, waiting 6 mths will cover everything. It is the maximum amount of time it would take for any persons body to mount a response to the virus if it was present.
Antibody testing is the response to the virus.

Please feel you can ask anything else