Will a CPAP machine help in treatment of sleep apnea?

48 yo hispanic female. Obese (6'0"; 250#) IDDM (7 yrs), afib (1 yr. not valve related), high cholesterol, HTN, bipolar disorder, GERD, psoriasis ( over 30 yrs), psoriatic arthritis (6 yrs). Just dx w/ sleep apnea. Sleep doc stated cpap macine use for a year will probably relieve all health issues except bipolar disorder. Sounds 2 good 2 be true but I'm willing 2 buy machine if it's actually probable. Not sure if he's right or just wants the 1600.00 for the machine & would like another opinion. Current meds: depakote, paxil, glucovance, lantus, lisinopril, toprol, prilosec, meloxicam, lipitor, flexeril,
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is not true Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry ti hear of all these XXXXXXX conditions that you are currently battling with. Just like you already realized, it is just too good to be true that using a CPAP machine for a year would relieve you of most of these symptoms. Beyond helping with the sleep apnea and improving your quality of sleep and symptoms related to sleep apnea, it would not be able to do any thing more. The single thing that can greatly improve your disease conditions and over all quality of life is weight loss. If you could get your weight to normal, cholesterol, GERD, diabetes, sleep apnoea and cholesterol would all be better managed. If there were a single thing that I would advice you to spend much to accomplish at this time, that would be working with a weight specialist on getting your weight to normal or near normal. I hope this helps. I wish you well. I would like you to strongly consider the decision to gt that machine for the so many reasons he mentioned. I am however comfortable with you getting the machine being aware of the fact that it would help best with sleep apnea and not all the other fancy stuff. Work on your weight++++ I wish you the best if health and thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Diath, MD.