Will Xanax taken for anxiety and panic become addictive?

I was prescribed xanax 0.25mg three times daily for anxiety and panic. I have been on it for three weeks. Will this dose Become addictive and if so how long would it take and would I need to taper off? I see my family dr every two weeks to monitor it.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Addiction would be hard to come by at this dose! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this anxiety disorder. At this dosage and duration, addiction would not set in anytime soon. It would require a longer duration to get addicted at this dose. You would most likely need to take this medication for a long duration for better control of your anxiety. Thinking of stopping right now is too early. Talk to your doctor about this and hear what his plans are. However, when it come to getting off this medication, avoid stopping abruptly to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Taper off progressively over weeks to months before finally quitting. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.